Guide on Heart Pacemaker from the Best Pacemaker Implantation Doctor in Navi Mumbai
When a person’s natural pacemaker, also called as the sinoatrial node does not function properly and fail to develop consistent heartbeats, many cardiologists may recommend for the implantation of a pacemaker. Dr Rishi Bhargava is a leading Interventional Cardiologist in Navi Mumbai who is highly experienced and skilled in diagnosis and treatment of various cardiac conditions and conduct different non-invasive procedures, including the implantation of heart pacemakers.
Know About Heart Pacemakers
Heart pacemakers are small battery-operated devices that are implanted in the chest or abdomen, mainly by minimal invasive surgery, to regulate and control the heartbeat. Pacemakers are recommended for the treatment of any heart rhythm disorders. Most people with pacemakers can resume to their normal activities and maintain an active lifestyle after the implantation. However, certain precautions may be advised by doctors, such as avoiding intense workout, sports activity, etc. that may risk damaging the pacemaker or leads.
With the expertise of Dr. Rishi A. Bhargava’s, a top cardiologist in Navi Mumbai, patients can feel confident in receiving a pacemaker implantation procedure that is tailored to their specific heart conditions, with a focus on safety, precision, and optimal long-term outcomes.
How Heart Pacemaker Functions?
Pacemakers help control the electrical system of your heart and ensure steady heart beats hence improving the overall functioning of the cardiovascular system and maintaining proper flow of blood throughout the body. This device delivers electrical signals to the heart muscle, prompting it to contract and maintain an appropriate heart rate, if it’s beating too slowly or too quickly. Pacemaker stores information about the heart activity and can be shared data to your doctor to review during the follow-up. Dr Rishi Bhargava, a top cardiologist in Navi Mumbai often provide pacemakers equipped with advanced features that allows him to adapt to changes in patient’s activity level and physiological needs.
How are Pacemaker Implanted?
The process of implanting a pacemaker is a specialized procedure that requires expertise and precision. Our best cardiologist in Navi Mumbai, Dr. Rishi Bhargava has the necessary training and knowledge to perform this procedure safely and effectively with a team of cardiac technicians and nurses in specialized cardiac operating rooms.
Pacemakers are typically implanted through a minor surgical procedure. A small incision in the chest is made to create a pocket where the pacemaker generator is placed. The cardiologist carefully attaches leads, thin wires with electrodes at their tips, to specific locations inside the heart. These leads are then connected to the pacemaker generator, which is programmed to deliver electrical impulses based on the patient’s unique needs. Our cardiologist utilizes advanced imaging techniques, such as echocardiography (ECG) during the pacemaker implantation procedure for guidance during incision. They ensure that the leads are positioned accurately and that the pacemaker settings are optimized for the patient’s specific heart condition.
Pacemaker Battery and Lifespan
Pacemakers are powered by a battery that usually lasts for several years, depending on the device and the individual’s heart rate requirement. The batteries are replaced during the follow up visit at our cardiac clinic if it is low. A replacement procedure is needed to swap the old pacemaker with a new one if it is too low. Through the evaluation of Dr. Rishi Bhargava, an interventional cardiologist in Navi Mumbai, batteries are replaced considering the patient’s specific needs and advancements in pacemaker technology.
Monitoring and Adjustments
After pacemaker implantation, regular check-ups with Dr. Rishi Bhargava, pacemaker implantation doctor in Navi Mumbai is necessary to monitor the device’s functioning and adjust its settings if needed. These adjustments can be made wirelessly during the follow-up appointments using specialized equipment.
Conditions Pacemaker Treats
Pacemaker treats certain heart conditions that include:
- Heart arrhythmias: Our cardiologist recommend pacemakers to effectively address abnormalities in the heart’s rhythm, ensuring a regular and coordinated beating process.
- Heart block: When there are disruptions in the heart’s electrical system, resulting in slow or blocked signals, pacemakers can help restore the proper functioning of the heart.
- Heart failure: Pacemakers may be recommended for individuals experiencing heart failure to optimize heart function and improve overall cardiac performance.
- History of heart attack: Patients who have previously suffered a heart attack may benefit from a pacemaker to regulate their heart’s rhythm and enhance its pumping capacity.
Warning Signs or Symptoms that Indicates You Need Pacemaker
Determine these signs that indicate you require a pacemaker. Discuss your concerns and symptoms with a Dr. Rishi Bhargava, an interventional cardiologist in Navi Mumbai for accurate diagnosis and treatment:
- Chest pain (angina)
- Tachycardia (An abnormally rapid heartbeat)
- Bradycardia (An unusually slow heartbeat)
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia)
- Heart palpitations (pounding in the chest)
- Shortness of breath
- Unexplained dizziness or lightheadedness, nausea, or fainting
- Unexplained confusion
- Swelling in ankles, legs, and abdomen
- Frequent nighttime urination
Different Types of Pacemakers
There are various types of pacemakers available; each designed to address specific heart conditions. These include:
- Leadless pacemaker: Leadless pacemaker is a small device inserted using a catheter-based procedure that do not require any wires. The leadless pacemaker is attached directly to the inner wall of the heart.
- Single-chamber pacemaker: A single wire, known as a lead, is attached to one chamber of the heart. This type of pacemaker is commonly used when only one chamber requires pacing support.
- Dual-chamber pacemaker: Dual-chamber pacemakers utilize two leads, each attached to a different chamber of the heart. This type of pacemaker coordinates the electrical signals between the upper chamber (atrium) and the lower chamber (ventricle), optimizing the heart’s rhythm.
- Biventricular pacemaker: Also called as cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT), a biventricular pacemaker utilizes three leads. Two leads are connected to the lower heart chambers (ventricles), while the third lead is attached to the right upper heart chamber (atrium).
The appropriate type of pacemaker or device is selected depending on the specific heart conditions of the patients, and will be determined by Dr. Rishi Bhargava, an interventional cardiologist in Navi Mumbai based on a thorough evaluation at our cardiac clinic.
Patients with pacemakers are advised to avoid close proximity to strong electromagnetic fields or devices such as large magnets, certain medical equipment, and high-power electrical sources. It’s important to inform other doctors about the presence of a pacemaker during medical procedures or diagnostic tests.
Pacemaker Risks and Complications
Patients may face potential risks and complications associated with the procedure, such as bleeding, infection, damage to blood vessels or nerves, and device-related complications like lead displacement or fracture. However, pacemaker implantation procedure is completely safe and serious complications are relatively rare. Consult our cardiologist in Kharghar at Medwin Heart Care Clinic to understand all the risks and benefits of implanting a pacemaker.
Dr. Rishi Bhargava, a leading Cardiologist in Navi Mumbai
We understand heart conditions that require a pacemaker may lead to feelings of stress, anxiety, or fear. As a prominent cardiologist in Navi Mumbai, along with our cardiac team we are here to support you during this challenging time. At Medwin Heart Care Clinic, we provide valuable recommendations for additional support, including counseling, diagnostic tests, educational materials, and rehabilitation, tailored to address your specific heart conditions. You can freely reach out to Dr. Rishi Bhargava, an interventional cardiologist in Navi Mumbai or the clinic whenever you need assistance or have any queries. Together, we will navigate the pacemaker implantation journey towards better heart health, ensuring your peace of mind throughout the process.